Sunday, May 22, 2016

Fulwiler Middleton Response


"Nowhere does this new media epistemology beckon more compellingly than in the arena of digital video, which may be the paradigmatic example of a multimodal text with the potential for wide-ranging cultural, aesthetic and social implications" (Fulwiler and Middleton 40). 

I wanted to talk about this quote from Fulwiler and Middleton's article because it particularly resonated with me. The other day when I was scrolling through my Facebook newsfeed, I noticed that about 15 posts in a row were videos. This included a Tasty recipe for french toast, a live New York Times feed of Central Park, a "fail" video from a comedian's page, a DIY clip for a cat-shaped garden planter, and more. What really stood out to me was that everything was moving, and the effect was overwhelming in its novelty. Even just a few months ago, I feel like the majority of my newsfeed was stationary (life updates, links to alphabetic text articles, images). But today, what readers seem to demand (or, more importantly, what they share on social media) and as a result, what writers supply, is video content.

This is significant because, as the authors of this article point out, our techniques for teaching students to produce videos are largely based on outdated technology and thus "may no longer be sufficient" (Fulwiler and Middleton 40). In an increasingly digital, technological, and fast-paced world, maybe we need to better prepare our students to produce the quick and concise videos that have become so popular.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment